NewsBeet is a platform for building your own news site covering any topic or beat you want. Users start their site (or sites) with a handful of topical RSS feeds, plug it into our system, hit go, and we do the rest. And by "the rest" we mean:
- Story Voting: readers can vote for stories and really drive what gets published on the front page
- User Generated Content: readers can submit stories, make comments, upload pictures and videos
- User Management: readers can register , earn points for their comments and participation
- Social Networking: readers can come together and connect over topics they care about
- Revenue Generation: Beets come with cool advertising widgets, and we split this revenue with you
Maybe it's just us, but it seems like the uses for NewsBeet are infinite (and by infinite, I mean 4 or 5 or so...). Some examples are:
- Social News Site: Our bread and butter - build a news site on any topic or beat you want
- BeetRoll: Bloggers can use NewsBeet to have a live site replace their linkroll to drive link traffic
- UberBlog: One blog to rule all blogs? (hey, wait a minute, isn't this the same as BeetRoll?)
- IndustryBeet: Track industries and markets for competitive intelligence (ehh, kinda stretching...)
When we first had the idea for NewsBeet, we were really just looking for an easy way to share a site where me and my brothers could track and read all of the Orlando Magic news (we are HUGE Orlando Magic NBA fans!! Huuuge!). We didn't really find anything that we could use together and share with our other rabid fellow fans. So we decided to build something.
We wanted to build a system that would allow us to build a focused, social news site in a fast, fun, easy, and, maybe even, profitable way. We've worked hard to make things as "plug and publish" as possible since we can't really handle anything more complicated.
And so here it is. We hope you like it. We hope that you will find it useful. We hope that you will create cool, radical things, things we've never even thought of. We will try to keep it going for as long as we can.
A Big Shoutout: Our platform is built on the Pligg platform which is why it can be so powerful even though we are a bit of a ragtag team - so we want to give big thanks to the Pligg open source community.